I really love vegetables because I grow up in the province and we have a garden , We ate various kinds of recipes from vegetables and one thing that my mother cooked is Meat-Vegetable Stew or locally known as PINAKBET with the combination of shrimp paste (bagoong) as appetizer. It is a popular Ilocano dish from Northern region of the Philippines, the word PINAKBET is contracted form from Iliocano word pinakebbet meaning to shrunk or shriveled .
NOTE: ESTIMATED TIME OF COOKING IS 30 MINUTES
1/4 lb pork, thinly sliced
1 large egg plant, chopped
1 medium-sized bitter melon, chopped
1/4 lb squash, chopped into 2x1 inch cubes
3 pieces large tomato, sliced
1 piece onion, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 to 8 pieces okra
1 bunch string beans, cut in 3 inches length
4 tbsp shrimp paste
1 cup water
3 tbsp cooking oil
salt and pepper
1. Heat the pan and put the cooking oil.
2. When oil is hot enough, saute the garlic, ginger, onion, and tomato
3. Add the pork and cook until color turns light brown (about 5 to 8 minutes)
4. Put-in the shrimp paste and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until pork is tender
6. Put-in the squash and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until texture becomes soft
7. Add the remaining vegetables and mix with the other ingredients.Simmer for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked. (Do not overcook the vegetables)
8. Serve hot with steamed white rice. Share and Enjoy!